Unpacking Apple’s 2023 Wonderlust event, we dive deeper into what’s new for business. From the iPhone 15 with its multiple variants over the Apple Watch Series 9 to the Apple Watch Ultra 2. A deep dive in all major upgrades.
iPhone 15 (Plus): Newphoria.
Apple has just unveiled the new iPhone 15 (Plus). New improvements make the entry-level iPhone more “Pro” than ever. Here is a rundown of the changes that have been made.
- Dynamic Island, which first came to the iPhone 14 Pro, will expand to the non-Pro versions of the iPhone 15 so you can stay on top of display alerts, notifications, and ongoing operations in real-time.
- Like the iPhone 14 series, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays. Both devices feature a frosted rear glass panel, making the device dust and water resistant.
- The newest addition to the iPhone family now has a USB-C port, replacing the lighting port for charging, data transfer, and playing audio and video.
- The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 plus recycle last year’s high-end chip, the A16 Bionic.
- Just like last year’s iPhone 14 Pro Series, the iPhone 15 (Plus) has a 48 MP main camera. This sensor enables 1x and 2w optical zoom modes, alongside the usual 0.5x ultra-wide lens.
- The iPhone 15 is rated the same battery life as the iPhone 14, but the iPhone 15 Plus will last longer due to the bigger internal battery.
- Apple is extending its Emergency SOS via Satellite to accommodate for roadside assistance situations. The SOS feature is free for two years when purchasing an iPhone 15.
- Thanks to the second-generation Ultra-Wideband chip, the range when locating has been improved, allowing you to directly navigate to a person with Precision Finding.
- The leather cases are replaced by more sustainable, finewoven alternatives.
Apple’s newest entry-level smartphones start at €765,51 (VAT Excl.) for iPhone 15 and €884,01 (VAT Excl.) for iPhone 15 Plus. Both models’ colour finishes are now embedded throughout the glass. The iPhone 15 comes in pink, yellow, green, blue, and black. The devices are available for pre-order as of September 15 and will be launched on September 22.
iPhone 15 Pro (Max): Titanium.
The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max got their own share of big updates this year. With an all-new design, dramatically better performance, and marvellous camera upgrades. Here’s a rundown.
- The chassis of the new iPhone 15 Pro is made from brushed titanium, replacing the current stainless-steel edges. This makes the device the lightest Pro model ever, while enhancing durability. Besides, the iPhone 15 Pro features the thinness bezels yet.
- The mute switch is replaced by a programmable action button, like what Apple introduced on the Apple Watch Ultra last year. Users will be able to assign several different tasks to this button, such as starting a voice memo or launching the camera app.
- The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max use the first-of-its-kind 3-nanometer process, the A17 Pro bionic. With its six-core CPU, the A17 Pro results in twice the performance and four times the efficiency of the A16 Bionic.
- The iPhone 15 Pro has the best camera system yet, equivalent of no less than 7 camera lenses. The 48 MP sensor has improved light performance and now supports 24, 28, and 35mm shots. The telephoto lens on the iPhone 15 Pro Max features 5x optical zoom at 120mm focal length. Besides, photos and videos can now be captured using spatial video. The iPhone 15 Pro uses the ultra-wide and main camera to create 3D videos.
- Just like the regular iPhone 15 models, a next-generation Portrait mode detects when there’s a subject in the frame, allowing you to switch to Portrait mode after an image has been taken. Besides, there are also new focus and depth control tools and night mode has been improved.
- Audio quality for calls has been updated. Thanks to more advanced machine learning, background noise can be eliminated, so your voice can be prioritized.
- The iPhone Pro comes with a 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch display, the same as the standard iPhone 15.
- Like the iPhone 15, the iPhone 15 Pro models come with a USB-C port for charging and data transfer. The iPhone 15 Pro models, however, support USB 3 for up to 10Gbps transfer speeds.
- Leather accessories like iPhone cases are to be replaced with new, more eco-friendly alternatives in FineWoven.
The iPhone 15 Pro starts at €970,91 (VAT Excl.). The iPhone 15 Pro Max at €1.168,41 (VAT Excl.). Both models come in black titanium, white titanium, blue titanium, and natural titanium and are available for pre-order as of September 15. Both devices will be officially released on September 22.
Apple Watch Series 9: Smarter. Brighter. Mightier.
The Apple Watch Series 9 introduces a new, faster processor an additional colour, and a pretty similar set of features as last year’s Series 8. An overview of what’s new.
- The Watch Series 9 is powered by an entirely new Apple Silicon chip, S9, making it the product’s first real processor upgrade since 2020. The new chip is 30% faster than the S8 chip and thus ensures better computational and graphical performance while being more power efficient.
- Apple’s new S9 chip now provides spatial awareness, allowing the device to precisely detect the location of other devices nearby.
- Siri requests are now processed on the Apple Watch, making them faster and more secure. Besides, the voice assistant can now access health data for the first time and dictation should be 25% more accurate.
- The new Apple watch features a brighter always-on Retina display that can go up to 2000 nits, twice the brightness of the Apple Watch 8 series. The brightness can also be reduced to just one nit for optimal use in the dark.
- The Apple Watch Series 9 can be controlled with a new hand gesture, Double Tap, where the user taps the thumb and index finger together like with the Vision Pro headset. When using this gesture, users can interact with the device without touching the screen. Think of pausing or playing music, answering or ending a call, snoozing an alarm, stopping a timer, …
- The successor of the Apple Watch Series 8 is made with more recycled materials and comes in a smaller, more environmentally friendly box. Besides, the tech giant collaborated with brands such as Hermès and Nike on more sustainable Watch bands.
The Apple Watch 9 Series comes in GPS and Cellular versions and is available from €354,71 (VAT excl.) Apple’s newest smartwatch will be available in a new pink colour option, alongside Starlight, Silver, Midnight, and PRODUCT(RED). The stainless-steel version is available in Silver, Gold, and Graphite. The Apple Watch Series 9 can be pre-ordered as of September 12. The first devices will be delivered as of September 22.
Apple Watch Ultra 2: Next Level Adventure.
Back in 2022, Apple impressed everyone with its Ultra model made of titanium and with significant improvements. Barely a year later, the company is launching a new, updated version. An overview.
- As with the Apple Watch Series 9, the Apple Watch Ultra gets the same S9 processor for super smooth animations.
- Thanks to a new neural engine in the S9 chip, Siri is now processed on-device and provides access to health data.
- The second-generation “Ultra Wideband” location chip results in more precise location tracking. Besides, the neural engine makes dictation “up to 25 percent” more accurate.
- The Watch has an upgraded display, rated for 3,000 nits, which is 50 percent brighter than the first Ultra and the brightest on the market.
- The new Watch Ultra also introduces the double-tap gesture.
- Battery life in low-power mode is now up to 72 hours.
- Night Mode now turns on automatically in the dark thanks to the ambient light sensor.
- While the original Apple Watch Ultra is available in only one colour, you are no longer completely stuck with a standard titanium colour. A new all-black option will be added.
The Apple Watch Ultra 2 comes at a retail price starting at €789,21 (VAT Excl.). The device is available for pre-order on September 12 and will be delivered as of September 22.